Wednesday 8 February 2012

The Highway Code!


When I moved to Cornwall to take up my post at Tremough, I decided that this might be the perfect opportunity to learn to drive. So, just after Christmas, I made the first step and bought myself a theory test book and Highway Code. Now, admittedly, after an initial burst of zeal, I have not got very far with reading it. It isn't the most thrilling read and I would much rather pick up the novel I am currently reading and curl up with that on a winter evening, rather than test myself on stopping distances. I have also got a pile of archives and records management textbooks to get through before my interview next week.



However! A few weeks ago I had to look through the Camborne School of Mines magazines whilst answering an enquiry, and in the December 1935 issue I found this amusing and very appropriate article:


Copyright Camborne School of Mines



Copyright Camborne School of Mines



Copyright Camborne School of Mines


Copyright Camborne School of Mines

After doing some research, I discovered that the Highway Code was first published in 1931, so celebrating its 80th year in 2011. It was first published in its entirity in 1934, not long before this article was written. According to the Department for Transport website, the Code has undergone some considerable changes since its first publications, as you would hope! For example, in 1931 mirrors were not even mentioned and drivers were advised to sound their horn when overtaking. When reading my modern copy, it seems to me that using your horn is forbidden in virtually every situation! And I don't think it's possible to check your mirrors enough times before making any sort of manoeuvre. And apparently, more than a third of the original book was taken up describing various hand signals road users should use, while nowadays it's only a single page. Well, I'm certainly glad that's one thing I won't have to learn, although there are five times the amount of pages to get through nowadays. In any case, I think I will stick to my current version; I'm not sure how well "Belicon's" advice would go down with a driving instructer!

No comments:

Post a Comment