Tuesday 17 January 2012

UCL application done!

14/12/2011
Today, with one day to spare, I finally got my UCL application in for the Archives and Records Management Diploma. What a relief! Writing personal statements is something I have never enjoyed, and as usual left it to the last minute. The main thing to get across is enthusiasm for the course, but its pretty hard to sound enthusiastic without sounding silly. The first draft lacked any enthusiasm whatsoever and was abismal, but with some guidance from Sarah, I produced a much better second draft, and was actually quite happy with it! I think I managed to get across my enthusiasm for the archives profession, without sounding too desperate...

I do geniuinely have a real passion for archive work, and that is why I gave up so much of this year to working voluntarily at various archives. Ultimately that is why I am here, working in the archives service of the University College Falmouth and University of Exeter Cornwall Campus. The whole point of this traineeship is to furnish me, and future graduate trainees, with the experience required prior to starting the course, and I think the experience I will get here will be the best I could have hoped for.

For now, anyway, I'm going to try not to think about it until I hear back from UCL, which will hopefully be good news and that I will have got through to the interview stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment